Sci-GaIA activities that aim to strengthen and expand e-Infrastructure and Science Gateway related services:
- Support the creation of an African Open (and Linked) Data infrastructure, interoperable and federated with those existing in the EU and other regions of the world. The main outcome of this activity so far has been the creation of the Sci-GaIA Open Access Repository (OAR). The Sci-GaIA OAR is based on the latest stable release of Invenio and it is both an Open Archives Initiative conforming repository and an official OpenDOAR data provider. In the context of Sci-GaIA, the team at the University of Catanania has extended Invenio functionalities adding:
- The possibility to mint DataCite Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) and assign them to the records stored in the OAR;
- If existing, direct links to the altmetrics of each of the records contained in the OAR (see, for example, this record);
- The correct metadata structure and the right OAI-PMH endpoint configuration to make the OAR compliant with version 3.0 of the OpenAIRE Guidelines.
It is worth noting here that the Sci-GaIA OAR and the others being deployed using the virtual appliance and the guides developed by the project are included both in the e-Infrastructure Knowledge Base and in the Semantic Search Engine, which are two of the commons of the Sci-GaIA Open Science Platform.
- Deploy Policy Management Authorities and Identity Federations across African NRENs. The current status of federated services deployed in Africa, including those developed in the context of Sci-GaIA during its first year, is shown in this page.
- Deploy the Africa Grid Science Gateway developed in eI4Africa at an African Institution. The Africa Grid Science Gateway was conceived and developed in the framework of eI4Africa proejct and is now actively supported by Sci-GaIA. Click the icon below to access the service.